Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Tasty Tuesday: Marinara Sauce

Yum!



It has taken me a few years to perfect this for our tastes.  My hope is to make homemade tomato sauce and can it this year.  We use so much tomatoes and tomato sauce though, that I wonder if we could ever grow enough?

Anyway, hope you enjoy this!

Amy Caroline's Marinara Sauce

2 cans tomato sauce
1 onion chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
1/2 to 3/4 cup red wine
1 Tablespoon parsley
2 teaspoons basil
kosher salt

I usually make this with ground hamburger and mushrooms as well.  I also like to sneak some veggies in there like chopped fresh spinach or zucchini.  You can see that this time I used zucchini and fresh mushrooms (sorry, I am salivating already.



Cook meat first in a sprayed pan.  If you are doing this meatless, melt a little butter in there before this next step.  Add onion and cook till transparent.  Add mushrooms and larger veggie, if you are using.  Cook till slightly tender.  Add tomato sauce and wine.  Stir in herbs and salt according to taste.  Bring to boil and then lower to a slow simmer. Cook for about 10-15 minutes.

That is it.


Was that easy or what?  And none of the chemicals and added sugars you find in the canned variety.  Don't forget!!!  I cook for an army around here so this makes a lot.  Don't say I didn't warn you!



For more Tasty Tuesday check out: City Wife, Country Life!

3 comments:

  1. That looks flippin' delicious. Since I discovered my favorite spaghetti sauce brand has MSG in it I've been looking for a replacement recipe. If you've been working to perfect this one for "years" and have found marinara perfection, then I think this'll be my go-to.

    Thanks for posting a Tasty Tuesday recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks super yummo, Amy! I like the idea of putting the extra veggies in there too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks fantastic. I love all the veggies in it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...