Friday, June 18, 2010

Knit Together Designs: The Rosalie Cap

11/20/2010: Newly updated with more and better sizes!!





The Rosalie Cap
A Knit Together Design
By Amy Caroline
 2010

Hook: H
Sizes: 0-3 months {3-6m, 6-12 , 2T-4T}
Yarn: Vanna’s Choice
Gauge: 4 sc per inch

Hat:

0-3 months
Round 1: Chain 3, sc 6 in third chain from hook
Rnd 2: 2 sc in each stitch (12 stitches)
Rnd 3: *2 sc in stitch, 1 sc in next* repeat till end (18 stitches)
Rnd 4: *2 sc in stitch, 2 sc* repeat till end (24 stitches)
Rnd 5: *2 sc in stitch, 3 sc* repeat till end (30 stitches)
Rnd 6: *2 sc in stitch, 4 sc* repeat till end (36 stitches)
Rnd 7: *2 sc in stitch, 5 sc* repeat till end (42 stitches)
Rnd 8: *2 sc in stitch, 6 sc* repeat till end (48 stitches)
Rounds 9-15: dc every stitch
Round 16: trc all around
Round 17: sc in each stitch
Round 18: 3 or 5 dc (depends on how big you want your ruffle) in each stitch in next 21 stitches}, slip stitch into next sc, tie off yarn, and cut.

3-6 months:
Round 1: Chain 3, sc 6 in third chain from hook
Rnd 2: 2 sc in each stitch (12 stitches)
Rnd 3: *2 sc in stitch, 1 sc in next* repeat till end (18 stitches)
Rnd 4: *2 sc in stitch, 2 sc* repeat till end (24 stitches)
Rnd 5: *2 sc in stitch, 3 sc* repeat till end (30 stitches)
Rnd 6: *2 sc in stitch, 4 sc* repeat till end (36 stitches)
Rnd 7: *2 sc in stitch, 5 sc* repeat till end (42 stitches)
Rnd 8: *2 sc in stitch, 6 sc* repeat till end (48 stitches)
Rnd 9: *2 sc in stitch, 7 sc* repeat till end (54 stitches)
Rounds 10-16: dc every stitch
Round 17: trc all around
Round 18: sc in each stitch
Round 19: 3 or 5 dc (depends on how big you want your ruffle) in each stitch in next 25 stitches}, slip stitch into next sc, tie off yarn, and cut.

6-12 months:
Round 1: Chain 3, sc 6 in third chain from hook
Rnd 2: 2 sc in each stitch (12 stitches)
Rnd 3: *2 sc in stitch, 1 sc in next* repeat till end (18 stitches)
Rnd 4: *2 sc in stitch, 2 sc* repeat till end (24 stitches)
Rnd 5: *2 sc in stitch, 3 sc* repeat till end (30 stitches)
Rnd 6: *2 sc in stitch, 4 sc* repeat till end (36 stitches)
Rnd 7: *2 sc in stitch, 5 sc* repeat till end (42 stitches)
Rnd 8: *2 sc in stitch, 6 sc* repeat till end (48 stitches)
Rnd 9: *2 sc in stitch, 7 sc* repeat till end (54 stitches)
Rnd 10: *2 sc in stitch, 8 sc* repeat till end (60 stitches)
Rounds 11-17: dc every stitch
Round 18: trc all around
Round 19: sc in each stitch
Round 20: 3 or 5 dc (depends on how big you want your ruffle) in each stitch in next 27 stitches}, slip stitch into next sc, tie off yarn, and cut.

12 – 2T:
Round 1: Chain 3, sc 6 in third chain from hook
Rnd 2: 2 sc in each stitch (12 stitches)
Rnd 3: *2 sc in stitch, 1 sc in next* repeat till end (18 stitches)
Rnd 4: *2 sc in stitch, 2 sc* repeat till end (24 stitches)
Rnd 5: *2 sc in stitch, 3 sc* repeat till end (30 stitches)
Rnd 6: *2 sc in stitch, 4 sc* repeat till end (36 stitches)
Rnd 7: *2 sc in stitch, 5 sc* repeat till end (42 stitches)
Rnd 8: *2 sc in stitch, 6 sc* repeat till end (48 stitches)
Rnd 9: *2 sc in stitch, 7 sc* repeat till end (54 stitches)
Rnd 10: *2 sc in stitch, 8 sc* repeat till end (60 stitches)
Rnd 11: *2 sc in stitch, 9 sc* repeat till end (66 stitches)
Rounds 12-19: dc every stitch
Round 20: trc all around
Round 21: sc in each stitch
Round 22: 3 or 5 dc (depends on how big you want your ruffle) in each stitch in next 30 stitches}, slip stitch into next sc, tie off yarn, and cut.

2T-4T:
Round 1: Chain 3, sc 6 in third chain from hook
Rnd 2: 2 sc in each stitch (12 stitches)
Rnd 3: *2 sc in stitch, 1 sc in next* repeat till end (18 stitches)
Rnd 4: *2 sc in stitch, 2 sc* repeat till end (24 stitches)
Rnd 5: *2 sc in stitch, 3 sc* repeat till end (30 stitches)
Rnd 6: *2 sc in stitch, 4 sc* repeat till end (36 stitches)
Rnd 7: *2 sc in stitch, 5 sc* repeat till end (42 stitches)
Rnd 8: *2 sc in stitch, 6 sc* repeat till end (48 stitches)
Rnd 9: *2 sc in stitch, 7 sc* repeat till end (54 stitches)
Rnd 10: *2 sc in stitch, 8 sc* repeat till end (60 stitches)
Rnd 11: *2 sc in stitch, 9 sc* repeat till end (66 stitches)
Rnd 12: *2 sc in stitch, 10 sc* repeat till end (66 stitches)
Rounds 13- 20: dc every stitch
Round 21: trc all around
Round 22: sc in each stitch
Round 23: 3 or 5 dc (depends on how big you want your ruffle) in each stitch in next 33 stitches}, slip stitch into next sc, tie off yarn, and cut.

For the Roses (make 2):
Chain 13, in 3rd chain from hook make 3 dc in each stitch till end. Tie off and twist into shape.
For leaves (make 2):
Chain 6.  Sc in next 2 stitches, 1 hdc, 2 dc.  Chain 3 and work up other side of original chain.  2 dc, 1 hdc, 2 sc.  Tie off.

To make up:
Sew leaves and roses on to corners of hat where ruffle edging ends.

Variation:
If you want to skip the roses you can weave a matching ribbon through the trc rows and tie in a cute bow by the edge of the ruffle.
Place on adorable little girl and enjoy!!


Pattern & images © 2010 Amy Caroline


17 comments:

  1. Hi! I'm a long time knitter and I am now teaching myself to crochet. I understand how the pattern expands to fit the baby's head though I am confused as to how to make the hat larger for the (6-12 months). What do I do differently to make the hat larger? Thank you! It's a beautiful hat and I'm going to make it for my 7 month old niece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful hat! I made two for my college friend who is having twins. It looks a bit big to me, but it's been 9 years since I had my own tiny head so I'm not sure. Did you wash and strink the hat? Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Josephine,
    I am so glad you like the hat! I have to admit I have a bit of a hard time sizing hats, since my babies tend to have such big heads (usually in the 90th percentile!). It also depends on how tight or loose you crochet. I tend to crochet pretty tightly.
    I have been planning on crocheting up another one so I can give everyone a proper gauge but have not as of yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy Caroline,
    Thank you so much for making this pattern available. I am a new crocheter but I had no trouble at all making up a sweet little hat. I so appreciate the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so proud of myself for finally making a cute hat! I'm a beginner, and this is the first hat pattern that I finished correctly. It was very easy to follow. It does seem a little big (I did the 6-12 mo. pattern) but I put a ribbon through the trc row, and you can tie it to fit the baby's head. It still looks cute even if it's bunched up a little bit, and they can grow into it! Thanks for the pattern :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad you liked it!! Sorry it came out too big. Baby hats can be hard to size since there is such a size range!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this. It's just precious! Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am loving this hat! I am doing the ruffle right now, and am wondering, does the ruffle only go half way around, or am I reading it wrong? I've had no problems so far, once I figure this snag out, I'll be making this in tons of colors for my little girl that's due in 3 months!:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, it only goes half way around. I am so glad you like it!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. After reading the comments about it coming out fairly big I decided to do the dc rows as singles with one dc following before the trc. I made the 3-6 month size and it came out big enough for my friend's 8 month old still. Also, I decided to do only one rose with two leaves on one side.
    Absolutely love the pattern, even if I did modify it a little bit!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a fairly new crocheter and I have a question. Do we slip stich into the next row? Then what about chain for the next stich? This looks like a cute hat. Can't wait to make one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Cori! No, the pattern is done in a spiral, so there is no need to slip a stitch. You can, if you like, but when you do that in the round you can sometimes actually see where that happens in the hat. So I did this in the spiral so you wouldn't see that little ridge.
    You can slip a stitch, and chain two (for the dc) if you prefer. It will work either way!
    Can't wait to see your finished project!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi :)

    I am in the process of crocheting this cap for my granddaughter, but really feel like I'm doing something wrong with the instructions. :(
    Is there any way you can post some pics that show what the cap (when you've made one) looks like in process so I can tell if I'm doing something wrong? ;(

    Thanks! :)
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Laura K. I added another photo, I hope that helps. Also if you are on Ravelry you can find more photos there. Here is a link: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/the-rosalie-cap/people

    ReplyDelete
  15. I made this for my new granddaughter's baptism. I have two older granddaughters who also want one, but the oldest is 7......can I just add additional stitches to the 4T pattern to make one for size 6T? This is a beautiful (and easy) hat. I did put the ruffle all the way around and strung a ribbon through the last row before the ruffle to cinch it up on the baby's head. Worked great! Thanks for this wonderful pattern.
    DDB

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...