Saturday, April 2, 2011

Skillful Hands (KCBWDAY6)

"She obtains wool and flax and makes cloth with skillful hands."
The topic for our Knit and Crochet Blog Week today is all about skills I want to try and tackle this year.  In order to understand what I wish to accomplish, I think it behooves (sorry, I love that word) me to look back and discuss why I started playing with yarn in the first place.

I started crocheting when I was pregnant with Monkey.  It started with this desire to actually make something for the sweet babe that was growing within me.  I had always had the desire.  In fact, when I was pregnant with Rose, I bought some fabric with Flintstones characters on it.  I cut them out and sewed them together into little dolls.  It was pretty pathetic.  I think we still have Dino.  His head wobbles precariously to this day, like it is about to fall from his non-existent shoulders and roll under the couch along with all the dust bunnies, puzzle pieces, and missing remotes.

When I was pregnant with Buttercup, I learned to knit using books and videos on the internet.  I had learned a little when I was a young girl, but lacked any focus and attention span, so it was really a failed venture.  Funny though, how when I started again, nearly 20 years later, I actually remembered bits and pieces of what I had learned in my youth.

Do you see where I am going with this?

I started crocheting and knitting because of a desire to make something for my wee ones.  See that quote up there at the top?  I bet you know where it comes from, huh?  Proverbs 31, verse 13 to be exact. "She obtains wool and flax and makes cloth with skillful hands."  I can only aspire to be a Proverbs 31 kind of woman, but I find that part always makes me smile.  It was that reason alone that I wanted to learn to craft things.  To provide for those I love.

In all honesty, I have to say that I think I have only ever made myself one thing.  A scarf.  It was made with a very vibrant bluey-green alpaca.  Everything else I have given away, even if its purpose was for me, I eventually gave it away... usually to one of my minons, I mean kids.

I have to admit that most of the things I make are for my little ones.  I may knit and crochet like I couldn't when I was little, but I still lack focus and attention.  I have more now then I did when I was say 10, but, you know what I mean.  I LOVE little projects, things I can make up relatively quickly.  Something I can whip up and slip on a baby and smile.  Done.

So, that is one of the things I want to work on this year.  Something big.  Not huge mind you... I am not about to make a cozy for my 12 passenger van, but maybe a sweater for one of my big kids.  A pair of cute pants for my oldest.  And maybe, dare I even think it, something for me?

One other thing... a pair of socks.  A lovely pair of socks.  My husband has been begging for a pair for years now.  I wouldn't even mind a pair.  I don't know what it is about the socks that scare me so.  They are supposed to be quick knits.  You would think I would be making enough socks to clothe the feet of every person in my household!  But every time I try, I get bored.

This year, I am going to think big and work on my attention span.  All the while still making those sweet little things that make me smile rather than bite my lip in frustration.  All the while striving to be that Proverbs 31 woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...