Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Homemade Glühwein Cranberry Sauce

Saucy!I am trying an experiment... wish me luck.  I am posting it here so I don't forget it and in case you would like to join me in my maddness.  


I have made homemade cranberry sauce before, in fact I don't think I have bought a can of cranberry sauce in... well, eons.  But I wanted to try something a bit different this year.  Number one, I wanted to do it in my crockpot.  Number two, I wanted some red wine in there too.  The inspiration for that thought was one of my favorite holiday treats German Glühwein (the link will take you to a recipe I want to try for it).


So without further ado, my experiment...


~*~

Amy Caroline's Cranberry Sauce

12 ounces cranberries
1/2 cup red wine
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 cinnamon sticks
1/8 teaspoon cloves

Cook in crockpot on high for 2-3 hours or until berries "pop."  Smash berries, stir well and let cook for another hour.  Remove lid for another 30 minutes while cooking.  Remove cinnamon sticks and it is ready!

~*~

UPDATE (11/26/11): It came out great!  It was tart, so if you like a sweeter sauce I would just add more sugar.  It was a big hit!

All right, got my homemade Artisian bread cubed and drying for stuffing and now there are pies to be made... and, shhhh, don't tell, but Pandora is playing Christmas music in the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...