Tuesday, October 9, 2012

I Have Eight Kids



I had a bit of an epiphany.

For days, ok quite possibly, weeks, I had been trying to think about how to slow things down.  Was there something in our lives that could be put off for later?  Literally we have somewhere to be every day of the week.  I was feeling frazzled and a bit depressed about the whole matter.  My poor friends, whenever asking how I am, would get an eye roll and a litany of all my woes.  I am surprised some of them are still asking!

So this morning, while pondering if Rogue and Buttercup really needed swim lessons, I realized…

I have eight kids. 

I have eight kids. 

I have eight kids.

You are thinking, “Duh, Amy.  We could have told you that.”  Seriously, this thought hit me like a bolt of lightening.  My life is busy because I have a lot of souls to look after.  I have a lot of souls to help guide.  I have an obligation to give them the best that I can.  That will mean I have to leave the house occasionally to get them to the things that will help them become well rounded individuals.  They are human beings with God given talents that I should help nurture.

It also means, I will have to leave the house occasionally for my well-being.  I need to go the gym.  My health is important.  I can’t be the mom I need to be if I am depressed and unhealthy.  I need to have hobbies that I can nurture.  I, too, have God given talents that help center me, calm me, and help me not loose my self amidst the chaos that can be life.  I have to be careful not to let those hobbies consume me, however.  Hobbies, while so important, can also become too big.  When they start to seem more important than anything else, when there is resentment because I can’t participate in them… well, that is when they are no longer hobbies but idols.

My brick to the noggin this morning was simply put: God Delivered.  Dropping all commitments and huddling on my couch cushioned by copious amounts of yarn, will not make my life better.  Denying my children opportunities, even though they may seem like a hassle, is not the answer.  There are limits of course, just like I have to set for myself.  The kids should be involved in things that are beneficial, not time wasters.  Cub scouts, swim lessons, music lessons, science classes… these are things that are vitally important and if we can provide them, we should… but never to excess.

I have eight kids.

My life will never be calm.  I mean that too.  Yes, they will grow up, but you better believe that I better have grandkids a plenty running about me as I grow old.  I grew up alone.  My siblings quite a lot older than me, I spent way too many hours all alone.  So I understand the importance of family.  I value family so very much, because it was the one thing I craved more than anything when I was eight years old home alone with nothing but a TV and a bag of potato chips for company.  I chose to have a large family.  I love my large family.  And it is work.  I am blessed to be able to stay at home with them… even if it means I am not staying home!

On Facebook yesterday, the question was posed, “How many years have you homeschooled and how many more years do you have to go?”  I was surprised by my answer.  I have been homeschooling for 9 years and have quite possibly 18 years to go… if not more.  I am not even halfway done.  I have one of the most important jobs in the world.  It takes a lot of work, a lot of dedication, and a lot of sacrifices.

I have eight kids.

And I wouldn’t have it any other way!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...