Thursday, October 18, 2012

Working It Out

Some of you may know that I have been trying to loose weight.  Some time in early June, Tony and I decided it was time to get healthy.  It was when we suspected that Sweet Pea might have Celiac.  As time progresses, by the way, I am getting more convinced of it and believe that Lily is also very gluten intolerant.  Tony and I were categorized as obese, bordering if not overly the severely obese limits of BMI charts.  I figured that with each child I averaged a 10 pound weight gain that I was never able to loose.  With eight kids, as you can imagine, that adds up.  With my later pregnancies I never came close to gaining as much as I did with my first three, but I averaged in weight gain about ten or 12 pounds a child of weight kept.

I had a lot to loose and still have more to go.  It was overwhelming and I gave into ever single excuse there was out there.  The worst ones, however, were the ones geared at me The Mom.  I can't tell you how many times I was told, "Don't worry about loosing weight yet."  "Just worry about the baby."  "No one wants to hug skin and bones.  They like teddy bears!"  Oh, and my favorite?  "Your baby won't like the taste of your milk if you exercise too much."  Whose brilliant idea was that?  Who told women that load of bull?  Ok, ok, I bet if I was doing Biggest Looser type workouts and starved myself, Tiger would not like my milk.  I am NOT starving myself and I do some big workouts but not every day.

I think sometimes a lot of well meant advice is not always given correctly.  When an overweight person hears things like that, of course, they are going to choose not to work out.  Working out can be hard.  It gets fun, you start to feel the benefits, and it does make me giggle that I have muscles.  But when you start?  In your mind it is much easier to sit on the couch and watch Biggest Looser while eating a bowl of ice cream than it is too get off your duff and go to the gym.

The thing is, back in June, our weight loss was sparked by a desire to eat healthier.  TO BE HEALTHY.  It wasn't to be "hot,"or fit into a size 0.  We just wanted to be healthy.  I wanted to ride a bike, go for hikes, take my kids to the park without piling everyone into the car.  Things I could not do as big as I was.

I have been pregnant or nursing for four straight years.  I am serious.  I have not even had a a month break.  Maybe there was two weeks in there between Bear and Sweet Pea.  So all these excuses to not watch my weight were very serious and very real to me.  I didn't want to endanger my children!  I figured it was just my lot in life and I was going to live it severely obese.  I would never be able to ride a bike for any real distance.  I would never be able to make time to go to the gym.

But being healthy had, I mean HAD, to become a major priority.  And it has.


  1. God
  2. Family
  3. Health


The top three, right there. No question.  No excuses.

And if I can do it, you can do it.  No question.  No excuses.

The key is to be healthy.  Not to loose weight.  For me, I am averaging a little over a pound a week.  My weight loss chart has little ups and downs, but it is steadily moving downward.  I realized that when I had one particular bad week and I started questioning what I was doing, I needed to start measuring myself.  That was a little less than two months ago.  I had already lost some weight by then, maybe a quarter of my total goal.  I broke out the measuring tape and wrote down the numbers on an old piece of scrapbook paper.  Folded it and shoved it in a drawer.  A month later I remembered it was there and did it again.

I texted Tony thrilled with my loss of inches!

Two weeks ago I hit a bit of a plateau and I started worrying that I was doomed.  I wouldn't loose any more.  But I changed my workout and the weight started coming off again.  This morning I decided to measure again, just to get an idea of how I am doing and to try to get the last of those plateau doubts out of my head.

In the last two months, I have lost:


  • Ribs: 2 1/2 inches
  • Thighs: 2 1/2 inches
  • Arms: 2 1/2 inches
  • Waist: over 3 inches (I didn't do my waist the first time, don't know why, so I have lost 3 inches off my waist in less than a month!)
  • Hips... this one is my favorite: 6 INCHES!


Since last June I have lost 34 pounds.

This really can be such a help in the goals I am setting for myself.  Seeing these numbers help so much when the numbers on the scale come off a little more slowly.  But I also need to remember to look at what I have accomplished and not just the inches.  I have been trying to keep track of workouts, mostly my biking miles I don't put my weight training up there, on Endomondo.  It is rather awesome to see how many miles I average in a week, a month, or how close I am to traveling around the world by bike!

I wanted to share with you a bit of my journey.  There is more I want to share with you.  So stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...