Wednesday, November 28, 2012

yarn along ~ November 28, 2012




Good Wednesday to you all!  Well, on my front there has not been much reading, other than what Cherry Jones reads us from Farmer Boy.  You see there was much rejoicing around here when mom lost her voice for three days.  Not even a squeak!  It was kind of scary.  My voice is back now but I sound like a five pack a day smoker and I did loose my voice last night again.  But it is back, for the moment.

We have croup around here. Six out of eight kids are on antibiotics for sinus and ear infections.  And I am trying not to go, but today I may have to give in as I am pretty sure I am developing a sinus infection.

So reading?  Not much.  I have read half a chapter out of my library book The Sugar Queen!  I liked it, but, I did not get very far!  Plus with all the Christmas crafting going on, there isn't much time either!  The Narnia dolls are coming together.  I whipped up Edmund's flashlight last night after I gave him some hair and then pondered safe "arrows" for Susan.  Any suggestions?  I would really only need the ends as they will come out her quiver.  I just want something soft, so even the baby can chew on her. 

As for my campfire sweater, I was super excited when the UPS guy brought me my yarn so I could get to work on it.  Thank you UPS guy!  I am sure he reads my blog.  Anyway, I got to work on that and am a little freaked out.  I hope I don't mess it up, I have never done fair isle before, and when I did the first row I thought I might be sick.  It is a lot of work to make a sweater and I am afraid I was being ambitious doing fair isle for the first time on so large a project.  If it doesn't work... if I mess it up... devastation.

*taking a deep breath*

So anyway, that is what I am working on.  What are you up to?  How is you Christmas crafting coming along?

And don't forget to visit Ginny for more yarn along fun!

UPDATE:

 
Ok, all you fair isle knitters, did you spot my mistake on that chart up there?  Yup, I not only read the chart upside down but backwards too.  Yeah, I feel so pro.  So, in hopes that I was doing it right and Lily who informed me I wasn't right was wrong... ok, that got confusing.  Let's say I admit my fault.  And somehow I also messed up on the fair isle part because it is somehow off even if I keep working it backwards and upside down.  So before I go careful pull the last four rows out, I thought I would share my folly with you all.  Who else will feel my pain?

11 comments:

  1. I rip as much fair isle as I knit. You aren't alone... hang in there! You will get it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Erin! It is working now. I am worried that the fair isle part is more tightly knot than the rest of the sweater. But it is working... I think...

      Delete
  2. I don't think I will ever be brave enough to even try fair isle! It's beautiful, but....I love Famer Boy! It's my favorite book in the series I think. Although it has been awhile since I read them with my oldest. Looking forward to reading them with Kate in a year or so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't remember liking Farmer Boy as much the first time. We almost skipped it because all we could remember was him talking about food. But boy am I glad we didn't! I am enjoying it so much. We have been laughing out loud almost ever morning listening to it. I am thinking, now, it is my favorite as well. I just loving have it read to me too. Such a treat to sit there and knit and have someone else read to me.

      Delete
  3. You are much more advanced than I, dear lady! But, I do feel your pain. I have lost my place on my mom's lace socks and I have no idea how far I will have to rip back.

    I lose my voice, as well, each time the kids get croup. My ten -year -old daughter still gets it several times a season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never been successful at socks. Maybe I will try again... lol... someday.

      Several times a season? That is terrible! This has knocked us out of commission for a month! Horrible stuff.

      Delete
  4. That is such a beautiful picture. I would have zero clue about the fair isle. I'm still way too scared to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh trust me, I have no idea what I am doing, lol.

      Thank you about the photo! My coffee, my knitting, yes... lovely. :)

      Delete
  5. Oh, I've done that before! Don't worry, it'll still look neat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the color of the sweater! It will look awesome and be well worth the ripping in the end. I'm not much of a ripper, I just try to fix it as I go and regret it later on ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoyed Farmer Boy again last spring. Bless you for trying fairisle! I've messaged a lady I know who said she'd show me cables next spring when we have a chance to get together... I have a fairisle that a lady made me when I was in high school/college 30 years ago. It doesn't fit me or anyone else in my house, but that lovely lady died at 100 1/2 years old and I'm never getting another from her, so I'll love it in my cedar chest!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...