Friday, March 8, 2013

FF: 0.3 and some Salad Dressings


Our scale broke.  All I could think was, "It is Thursday morning and I am supposed to weigh in!"  Tony got all grumpy, swore he was going to put on a hundred pounds now that he couldn't keep track, so what else was a woman to do?

I went and bought a new scale.

I swear, I think we had the same scale for my entire life growing up and now I need to get a new scale every few moths to a year?

ANYWAY...  I knew I had been real good this week, other than not being able to get to the gym as often as I like.  So I was so thrilled to hop on that scale today (since I couldn't weigh in yesterday) and see I was down 4.1 lbs.

Ok, so I really love this new scale.

I don't know if I really lost 4.1.  It is possible.  I have done that in a week before and the workouts I did have this week were rather epic.  My phone literally flew off the elliptical at one point.

You notice that pesky 0.1?  Yeah, I noticed it too.  My old scale worked in increments of 0.5, but apparently this one is super awesome and does the 0.1 stuff.  This however left me with... drum roll please...

0.3 pounds to reach my next goal.

Annoying, indeed.

So I will have to wait for next week, be uber-good and pretend that the huge weight loss had everything to do with my wondrous skills rather than a new scale.

Then a new goal.  Gulp.

So I really meant all that to be very brief and share with you my salad dressing recipes.  Hopefully you are still with me here.  The recipes are super simple, because when you cook for this many people simple is a wonderful blessing.

We really love salads.  I used to think salads were boring, but that is before I knew how to make a REAL salad.  Salads are more than just lettuce and a radish.  They should be amazing creations that make your old friend, sandwich, frightfully jealous.  Red leaf lettuce, romaine, spinach, arugula, boiled eggs, red peppers, cheese, nuts, go crazy.  I love cashews in my salads.  The truth is, your salad should be so good that it doesn't need dressing.  I am serious here!


If you still insist on having dressing, you want to make sure it is GOOD.  The only way to do that, is to make it yourself.

One of our most used dressings, because it is so stinking easy, is simply sour cream and some stone ground mustard.  Mix to taste.    Did I just blow your mind?  I know, I am amazing.

Creamy Dressing
  • Sour Cream
  • Stone Ground Mustard

Mix to taste.

Boo ya.

This next one is my favorite dressing of all time.  Alton Brown and Lily came up with this one.

Honey Dijon
  • 1/4 cup local honey (or just honey, local will taste better!)
  • a little more than 1/8 cup Dijon mustard
  • 3 Tablespoons white wine vinegar
Mix and enjoy!

Homemade Ranch
The key to making your own dressing is that you can do whatever you want!  It does not have to be a perfect recipe, the same every time.  This recipe it is not exact.  Just feel a little wild and go for it.
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 cup yogurt
  • 1 Tablespoon minced garlic or add some garlic powder
  • creole seasoning, parsley, salt, and pepper to taste
Mix.  Is that easy or what? The creole seasoning is my favorite part and we only use a tiny bit.  Just enough for a wee kick.

Balsamic Dressing
A really easy recipe is just vinegar and olive oil.  There are some lovely vinegars out there: balsamic, red wine, white wine, etc.  They will all give you a slightly different flavor.  But some people don't like the tang of vinegar dressings.  Tony is one of those people.  An easy way to cut back on the bite and make them more savory is to add soy sauce (gluten free of course).  This one, as well, is not exact measurements.  Stop and take a taste once in awhile to see what flavor appeals to you.
  • 1 cup Balsamic (or your choice) vinegar
  • 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 cup gluten free soy sauce
Feeling a bit crazy?  Try adding these too:
  • 1 Tablespoon basil
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground dry mustard
You can experiment with different spices too.  Using your favorites!

 Dressings are really so easy to make.  Buying store bought, you are purchasing a lot of chemicals and enhancers that could leave you feeling more hungry!  It takes only a few moments to whip together a great dressing that is made to your taste without all the added sugar and chemicals.


Ok, on to next Friday and hopefully 0.3 less pounds!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...