Wednesday, April 3, 2013

A Paleo Easter


Oh yea!  No almost about this one!  We did it!  So without further ado, our...

Easter Menu

Hmmm, a little black.  Forgot to cover it sooner... well we did go for a hike.  My bad! But beyond delicious!


 
Dinner:
Orange-glazed Ham

Mashed Sweet Potatoes (don't forget to do this in the food processor, makes them so creamy!)

Green beans with bacon

Deviled Eggs (made with homemade mayonnaise)



Desserts:

Egg-shaped Fudge Babies


Ok, the shaping thing didn't really work all that great.  They don't look like eggs, but the kids thought they looked like eggs and we won't say what I was worrying that they looked like.  They were tasty.  I will save the shaping to hearts for Valentine's Day.

Samoas 


 Now these we added more coconut oil to because the dough was way too dry (we have noticed this with these recipes.  We think it might have something to do with where she lives compared to where we live).  We are hoping to play with this recipe a bit more to come up with our own that works best for us.  We had to freeze them after cooking them to get them to stiffen up a bit, but boy they were worth the work!  Very tasty.

Peppermint Patties
These were also very good, but, for sure, make them small.  I accidentally made some big ones (I was rushing) and they were way too much.  Like, "I think I am going to be sick but I can't stop myself" kind of sick.

Brownies
A staple around here without a doubt!

And...

A Gluten-Free Strawberry Trifle!


Nope you don't get a link for that one, but how about a recipe?  All I could think about was the fact that I wanted to have that wonderful trifle over at Catholic Cuisine we have every year on Easter.  Yet, with Sweet Pea's dairy issues I knew we couldn't.  And don't forget the gluten intolerance that seems to run around this house too.

So I searched the net, but nothing looked very good (well to me, that is, I was being picky).  I found, on Pinterest, a link on how to make whip cream from canned coconut milk.  With that and a gluten free cake mix from Pamela's I knew I had it!

1 package Pamela's Vanilla Cake Mix
3-4 pounds strawberries (you can do less, but we went for it)
1/2 to 1 cup almond or coconut milk
1 cup coconut
1/2 cup evaporated cane juice  (you could use agave or another sweetener I am sure to your taste)
2 cans Native Forest unsweetened FULL FAT coconut milk

Bake the cake according to directions.  Do this the night before and let it cool completely.  I had to hide mine on top of the fridge.  In the morning cut up into 1 inch cubes.  Poor the almond or coconut milk over the cubed cake till it is moist but not soaked.  Cut the strawberries and sprinkle with coconut and sweetener, mix.  Make the coconut whipped cream.  Follow these directions.  They work and it is AMAZING.  I didn't have enough whipped cream for the top because one of my cans got shook up, which was a huge disappointment.  So we only had one layer of the coconut whipped cream instead of two.  I ended up drizzling the other can a little over everyone's servings instead.

On the bottom of your trifle or glass bowl, put half the cake.  Put half the strawberry mixture on top of that, then half of the 2 cans worth of whipped coconut cream.  Repeat.  On top place a decorative strawberry and some toasted coconut.

The sad part was the little ones were so cranky they all ended up in bed before the trifle.  And by the next day... it was.... well... gone.  So I will have to make it again soon or I will be the worst mom ever.  I don't even want to tell you the face Rogue gave me when he found out.  I deserved it... well, hey, we all did, because I know I didn't eat it all by myself!

Now, don't think they were deprived.  They had plenty of the other stuff.  And I am so glad to say that the house is now almost devoid of all Easter sweets.  Ugh, it is so tempting to have those things in the house!!

Hope your Easter Sunday was delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...