Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Hermione's Everyday Socks


She puts her hands to the distaff,
and her hands hold the spindle.

She opens her hand to the poor,

and reaches out her hands to the needy.

She is not afraid of snow for her household,

for all her household are clothed in scarlet.
 She makes herself coverings;
    her clothing is fine linen and purple.
Proverbs 31:19-22 

I was flipping through the pages of Parents magazine, some odd eleven years ago, when I came across an article that was cleverly titled, “Anyone Can Crochet!”  I accepted that challenge.

I was pregnant with my fourth child and felt a deep urge to create something for the sweet and precious life budding within my womb.  I worked hard, making a purple single crochet baby blanket, which is a favorite still today.

Only a few years later, pregnant with my sweet Buttercup, I felt that urge again.  I had to create something, but this time I decided to learn to knit.  Again a purple baby blanket was created and cherished.

The blessing of knowing how to create beautiful and sometimes comical treasures from yards of colorful yarn has been one I am so grateful to possess.  I am not sure if anyone could every truly regret learning to make something with their hands, be it knitting, crochet, or sewing.  The benefits are tremendous.  There is so much good you can do for others with such a gift too.

Most of my crafting is for others.  I have only in a total of eleven years of working with yarn made three things for myself.  A scarf, a pair of fingerless gloves, and a sweater, which I proceeded to frog because I didn’t like it!  Can you imagine spending months of labor on something, only to pull it all apart? 

It had been a reward, that sweater.  A reward for losing 70 pounds (10 of which I have gained back, much to my dismay), I felt a bit discouraged when I couldn’t stand to wear it.

The balls of yarn now reside, cuddled together in the dark depths of my knitting basket, an antique wooden piece of furniture that had once been my grandmother’s sewing basket.  They will soon be sweaters for my two youngest daughters.

My friends lamented my frogging and insisted I make something for myself, as did my family.  So, after much thought I decided to do something I have only successfully done once before.

I made socks!

I have tried numerous times in the last few years to become a sock knitter.  After reading about how wonderful it is in Knitting Rules, how could I not want to try?  I had decided that after years of trying I was never going to be able to create something warm for an adult foot (baby feet, well, that is another story).

My thoughts wandered back to this long ago desire.  Another mountain to climb!  And so, just the other day, I finally accomplished something else I never thought I could.  I made a pair of socks.  A double reward for all my efforts!

There they are, in all their glory, warming my generous feet.  And Knit Picks has just received an order from this knitter for a few more skeins of fingering weight yarn.  There are 20 feet in this household, you know.  And 18 of them have never known the joy of homemade socks.  I have some work to do!

8 comments:

  1. Those are really lovely. Were they toe up or sock down? I love the color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are sock down. It went really well and it was a pattern that if I messed up a bit you don't notice, which. for me, was a real bonus! The yarn was Knit Picks Tonal. I actually have one more skein of it and my daughter begged me for it, so I handed it over.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations! They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are so pretty! I have never tried socks before, but Jane Brocket's book The Gentle Art of Knitting has me believing I could do it! It's on my list, a very long list, of things I want to make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My list is terribly long too! I believe my Ravelry queue is about 7 pages and we won't even mention my Pinterest knitting board!

      Delete
  4. beautiful! I bet you make another pair and another and another :) I love hand knitted socks and so does my husband!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely socks! And I like your story, too, Amy!

    I have knit one sock ~ LOL! The other is waiting to be knit. Yes, another unfinished project!! I guess I was hoping the sock would be more snug ... Maybe I knit it too big? I don't know ... How should a knitted sock fit? Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...