Friday, July 3, 2015

Fitness Friday: Complacency



Complacency.  It is an ugly word, isn’t it?  I cannot tell you how many times on my fitness journey I have looked at that bag of M-n-Ms and thought, "Hey, being a size 16 isn’t so bad.  I mean, just a few of these colorful little sugar bombs of yumminess won’t kill me.  I was a lot bigger at one time..."

But is it every really just a few?  And once you give into that little voice that says you never wanted to be supermodel skinny, anyway, and you don't really want to go overboard with this healthy eating thing after all, it gets harder and harder to tell it to shut up.

Complacency is more than just giving in.  It is giving up.  It can be one of the biggest hurdles you face in your fitness journey.

I have fallen victim to it a few times on this crazy roller coaster.  In fact, I am battling it right now.  I am actually only 8 pounds away from one of my BIG goals.  It is so close I can taste it, but the heat always gets me down.  Some people perk up in summer and start doing all the things they have been dying to do all winter.  I wilt like some little delicate flower.  I pout because it is too hot to go do anything but eat ice cream and sit directly under the air conditioning vent.  And suddenly that goal doesn't seem that important.

Even he doesn't believe there are 2 servings in one bag
One of the things that can truly help you battle complacency is keeping track.  There are a million apps and most of them you can even access online if you don't have a smart phone.  One of my favorites is Fitness Pal.  You can keep track of everything you eat in a day, your exercise, and your weight.  You can "friend" people and give each other support and praise when they post a workout or weight loss, which is huge for fighting feelings of "is this all worth it?"

Keeping track of your food can be a huge bonus.  When you look at that bag of M-n-Ms you will either skip it, because you don't really want to know how many calories are in a handful, or you might just eat less than you normally would.  This does take some will power, of course.  So don't lie to yourself when you track your food.  Yes, Amy, you did eat that whole bag of plantain chips, not just 1 serving.  Did you know I have a thing for plantain chips?  They are supposed to be a healthier option but not for me.  If they were dipped in chocolate and peanut butter I would probably run away with them.  

At the same time, don't get anal about it either.  You don't need to use measuring cups to make sure you only ate 1/4 cup of chopped onions (and is that before or after you cooked them??), but do keep track and do the best job you can.  Soon it will become routine, just like any good habit, and it will help you make better choices.

Complacency is a pain and it can completely derail your very best efforts.  Keeping track of your food and having someone to help support you will help you to fight the good fight.  Love the body you are in but don't give up on yourself either.  You are worth it. Just take it a pound at a time!


2 comments:

  1. Argh, I hear you!! My hubby and I started our first Whole30 on July 1st. I'm so thankful that he's doing this with me so that we can cheer each other on. I'd like to drop about 10 pounds, but more than that, we both need to change our relationship with food. It's time for it to be about nourishing our bodies, rather than finding any and every occasion to have a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this, Amy! I was just talking about this with my husband tonight ... I'm also doing Whole30 this month, and this health thing really is about breaking habits, including the habit of complacency. There have been many times this weekend when I wanted the ice cream or the popcorn or whatever ... I had to push through; press on. It's a battle, but in it, we have to give ourselves grace and gentleness ... One pound at a time!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...